The Oceanographic Society of Japan (JOS) is receiving nominations for three prizes to recognize achievements in oceanographic research. Nominees and nominators must be members of JOS.
- The JOS Prize
The JOS Prize, the Prize of the Oceanographic Society of Japan, is awarded to a member of the Society who has made outstanding contributions to the progress of oceanography. One prize is awarded annually.
- The Okada Prize
Commemorating the late Professor Takematsu Okada, the Okada Prize is awarded to a young member of the Society who has made outstanding contributions to the progress of oceanography. Up to two prizes are awarded annually.
Eligibility: Members younger than 36 years old on the first of April of the award year (2023).
- The Uda Prize Commemorating the late Professor Michitaka Uda, the Uda Prize is awarded to a member of the Society who has contributed notably to the progress in oceanography, by showing remarkable leadership in a research group, or by playing outstanding roles in educational outreach or in technical supports. A few prizes are awarded annually.
Recommendations must be written in English or Japanese and should include the following:
– The nominee’s full name, birth date (for the Okada Prize only), and affiliation.
– The nominee’s research subject for the prize.
– Description of the nominee’s research achievement.
– List of the nominee’s key publications (not required for the Uda Prize).
– The nominator’s full name, affiliation, and e-mail address
– Recommendation date.
Please also send a short curriculum vitae of each nominee, a list of publications for the JOS Prize and the Okada Prize, and reference materials for the Uda Prize, as editable Microsoft-word files attached to an e-mail. For all the awards, we welcome recommendations of female candidates.
Please send the recommendation by e-mail to
email@example.com [Subject: Nominations for FY2023 research prizes of JOS]
Please be sure to set a password for the attached file and send the password in a separate e-mail.
Deadline: August 26, 2022
Awards Committee of the Oceanographic Society of Japan
Mainichi Academic Forum
Floor-9, Palace-side Building
1-1-1 Hitotsubashi, Chiyoda-ku
Tokyo 100-0003, Japan.